ALL Permit Applications must be submitted through the Online Permit Portal.
Please give us a call at 530-458-0480 if you need assistance with the Portal.
When you file for a building permit, the application will be reviewed by the following county departments:
- The Planning Department will review the plot plan for setback requirements and whether the proposed use is allowed in the assigned zone. The Planning Department is located at 1213 Market Street, Colusa, CA. (530)458-0480
- The Building Department will review project plans and code compliance. The Building Department is located at 1213 Market Street, Colusa, CA. (530)458-0481
- The Environmental Health Department will review the plot plan for compliance with health related matters in conjunction with activities associated with well and waste disposal systems. The Environmental Health Department is located at 1213Market Street, Colusa, CA. (530)458-0888.
- Based on the district of your location, the fire district reviews projects for compliance with State Fire-Safe regulations. Please contact the Building Department for the contact information. The Building Department is located at 1213 Market Street, Colusa, CA. (530)458-0481
- The Public Works Department will review the plot plan for compliance with Colusa County Maintained Road encroachments, your plot plan for flood hazards and significant grading projects. Public Works is located at 1215 Market Street, Colusa, CA. (530)458-0466
- DRAWINGS TO INCLUDE:
- Electrical Plans
- Plumbing Plans
- TRUSS CALCULATIONS
- ENERGY CALCULATIONS
- PLOT PLAN
- SPRINKLER PLAN (when applicable)
- SOLAR PLAN (when applicable)
1. Plans shall be drawn to scale, indicating location, nature and extent of work proposed. Show in detail that the project conforms to the provisions of the Building Code and all relevant laws, ordinances, rules and regulations.
2. Provide the signature of the designer on all pages of the drawings.
3. Provide a signed statement by the designer stating he/she has “reviewed the truss calculations for (the specific structure) and all loading and design criteria have been met.”
4. If structure is engineered, provide signed and stamped structural calculations. All details, nailing, etc. must be transferred to the plans. The architect or engineer providing structural calculations shall stamp and sign the drawings or provide a statement stating he/she has reviewed the blueprints and all structural criteria per calculations have been incorporated.
5. All structures, such as business, commercial, industrial, with offices and bathrooms, and other such structures of similar type of category, are subject to American Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements and must show accessibility on original plans.
- Assessor’s Parcel Number
- North arrow
- Show property dimensions
- Show ALL buildings and/or structures on property (both existing & proposed)
- Indicate distances between ALL building and/or structures and to property lines
- Show utility locations; water supply system; sewage disposal system and leach field
- Show all streets and easements. Identify streets
- Show the location of the access road
- Show dimension of all rooms
- For remodel and additions include plans for existing and proposed structures. Clearly distinguish between existing and new construction
- Show location of all electrical outlets and electrical panel
Foundation Plan & Floor Framing Plan
- Provide detailed foundation plan; layout, piers, grade beams, etc.
- Show floor framing, size and spacing
- Show anchor bolt spacing and size
- Provide elevations for all four sides
- Show appearance of doors, windows
- Clearly distinguish between existing and new construction
- Show as many cross-section as necessary to clearly indicate the construction; i.e. stairways, vaulted ceilings
Who May Prepare Plans
State law regulating the architectural and engineering professions describes who may prepare plans for buildings.
Any Person may prepare plans for new buildings or additions to buildings, as follows:
- Single family dwellings of wood frame construction not more than two stories
- Multifamily dwellings of wood frame construction not more than two stories; no more than four dwelling units on any on lot
- Garages and other appurtenant structures of wood frame construction
- Agricultural and ranch building of wood frame construction
- Interior nonstructural alterations which do not affect the structural system or the safety of the building
- Structures 20’ or more in length or width may require engineering and structural calculations
However, any of the above buildings which are not of conventional wood frame construction or have unusual design features, or where there is insufficient lateral bracing shall be designed by a registered civil engineer or licensed architect
- If the structure is engineered, please provide signed and stamped structural calculations. All details, nailing, etc. must be transferred to the plans.
- The architect or engineer providing structural calculations shall stamp and sign the drawings or provide a statement stating he/she has reviewed the blueprints and that all structural criteria per calculations have been incorporated.
- Plans shall be drawn to scale, indicating location, nature, and extent of work proposed.
- All sheets of the drawings shall be the same size and must be legible in its original size format.
- Show in detail that the project conforms to the provisions of the building code and all relevant laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations.
- Provide a signed statement by the designer stating he/she has reviewed the truss calculations for the specific structure and all loading and design criteria have been met.
- Provide the signature of the designer on all pages of the drawings.
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
When a permit is required for any repair, alteration, addition, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms shall be installed in accordance with CBC 907.2.11, CRC R314, CRC R315. The permit cannot be finaled until a Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Certification (PDF) is signed by either the Owner, Contractor, or Authorized Agent.
Julia Ornbaun, Permit Technician (530) 458-0481 1213 Market Street Colusa, CA 95932