Fictitious Business Names
Researching Business Names
All fictitious business names must be filed with the county clerk's office. It is wise to research the Fictitious Business Name Index before filing your statement to ensure the uniqueness of your business name. Research may be done in person or by mail. Mail requests must be accompanied by a stamped, self-addressed envelope and should be sent to the clerk's office at:
546 Jay Street
Colusa, CA 95932
Filing a Statement
Fictitious business name statements must be filed with the clerk of the county in which the principal place of business is maintained. Please follow these guidelines when filing a statement:
- Include signatures by each registrant. If more than one owner is listed on the form, only one owner / registrant is required to sign.
- Print the complete address of the business and of each registrant clearly. Post office boxes are not accepted.
- Publish the statement in a local newspaper for four consecutive weeks. Proof of publication must then be filed with the clerk's office.
If the business is being conducted by a corporation, an officer of the corporation must sign the statement, and the state of the corporation must be included. Fictitious business name statements must be renewed every five years. (Download Fictitious Business Name Statement Application Form (PDF))
The filing fee is $10 for one owner. An additional $2 is charged for each additional owner or fictitious business name listed on the same statement. Additional fees include:
- Abandonments and partnership withdrawals - $5
- Certified copies - $2
- Regular photocopies - $1 per page