Research, Journals & More
New York Times
The California State Library is pleased to offer the New York Times online to California public libraries! This offer features direct access to nytimes.com from 1851 to right now, including:
- All regular newspaper content (articles, editorials, etc.)
- All multimedia, including video, photography, VR features and all new multimedia to come
- Spanish and Mandarin Chinese versions of nytimes.com
- Personalized access, including e-mail newsletters such as California Today, mobile apps* for phones and tablets, with customizable news feeds, and article recommendations based on topics you most commonly read about.
The State Library is supporting this resource for California public libraries for at least the next 18 months. You can sign up using the link above and a current email address. Registration is required, but is very simple. Enjoy!
SCHOLARLY RESEARCH DATABASES
Explora provides full text access to scholarly journals, magazines, reference books, and news sources, including Consumer Reports, Time Magazine and AP video.
MAS Ultra provides full text for:
- more than 158,000 biographies and primary source documents, hundreds of reference books
- an Image Collection containing photos, maps, flags, and color PDFs
- expanded full-text journal and magazines dating back to 1975, including American History, Archaeology, Astronomy, Bioscience, Civil War Times, CollegeXpress, Nation, National Review, New Scientist, Popular Science, Smithsonian, World War II, and much more.
The peer-reviewed scholarly database will help with all of your research and homework needs 24-7 with a library card.
Archives Unbound addresses students and scholars’ pressing need to see primary, unpublished archival documents. There is no better way to study the past than through consultation of primary source documents. Archives Unbound presents topically-focused digital collections of historical documents that support the research and study needs of scholars and students at the college and university level. Archives Unbound is sponsored by the California State Library, all you need is a Colusa County Free Library card to access the database.
Encyclopaedia Britannica (PreK-12)
A comprehensive interactive resource for research and learning for grades K-12. Includes correlations to California Content Standards and other valuable teacher resources. Post links directly to each school level, elementary, middle or high.
Britannica is sponsored by the California State Library, all you need is a Colusa County Free Library card to access the database. Need help from Britannica? See our support page. (800) 621-3900 x 7160 | firstname.lastname@example.org
One-stop resources for books you are reading and teaching, including author and illustrator interviews, lesson plans, and other enrichment content.
Teaching Books is sponsored by the California State Library, all you need is a Colusa County Free Library card to access the database. Need help from TeachingBooks.net? See our support page. (800) 596-0710 | accounts@TeachingBooks.net
Formerly Zinio for Libraries, RB Digital Magazines allows you to access current and back issues of more than 165 popular magazines: news, business, entertainment, fashion, and more. Available anywhere with RB Ditigal Magazines app and your library card.
To get started
- Log in with your Library card, then create a RB Digital Magazine account to borrow magazines
- You can borrow magazines via a web browser to read now on your PC, Mac or mobile
- Download the RB Digital Magazine app to read offline on your iPad, iPhone, Android, Kindle HD/HDX
- Magazines in the collection are always available with no returns and no due dates
NOTE: You can only read single issues of magazines in the app. Use RB Digital Magazines online site to browse for magazine to checkout or to download new issues.
Glass Door - Search millions of job listings, see employee salaries, and read reviews from employees on numerous companies.
Online Writing Lab (OWL)
OWL offers over 200 free resources including:
- Writing and Teaching Writing
- Grammar and Mechanics
- Style Guides
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Job Search and Professional Writing
Transportation & Automotive Resources
Drivers Education Program
Includes lessons and practice tests specific to the State of California, is regularly updated with current laws and regulations. Free.
Medical & Health Resources
Stanford Health Library
Sponsored by Stanford Hospital & Clinics, Stanford Health Library provides scientifically-based medical information to help people make informed decisions about their health and health care. All services are free, including access to medical journals with scholarly and peer-reviewed materials.