The states for the springs in Lake County pass here and make connections with the stage for Cook’s Springs, eights miles distant. There is a good hotel, Leesville Hotel, with comfortable accommodations operated by Peter Perdue, a post office (established on June 27, 1874 with E.C. Peart as Postmaster); one general store, livery stable, wagon shop, blacksmith and several shops so indispensable to a farming community. The village is named after Leander Washington Harl, a Mexican War Veteran, who was also Justice of the Peace, 1869 – 1871, for the Leesville District. His brother, John Lewis Harl, is a Civil War Confederate Veteran.